Saturday, September 10, 2011

Hodge Podge

(Actual post date: 9/25)

Well, so much for updating twice a week like I had resolved to do when I fired this thing up. I'm not lacking material, in fact, my 'blog post ideas' list has gotten a little out of control. It's just so hard to find to time to sit down and do it, especially when there is so much ELSE I could be doing! But I find myself right now with a few minutes to spare, and as long as I can capitalize on opportunities like this one I know that all hope is not yet lost on the life of this bloggy.

Since I didn't get a chance to post throughout the past few weeks (I can't bring myself to admit that it's almost been a month!), I'll just say that it was cra-zay! I'm going to do a series of short(er) posts about the most notable events, assuming that is, that I can remember them.

Here's the first one:

One Thursday afternoon a few weeks ago, our power went out. We were in the middle of an insane heat wave, and I figured the old wiring on our house got too hot, you know, since I'm an electrician in my spare time. The heat had obviously gotten to my head at that point. Well, it turns out that it really wasn't our too-hot, too-old wiring because the entire county of San Diego was power-less also. All this really meant to me was that classes on Friday were canceled and I couldn't cook the dinner I had planned.

It was actually kind of exciting, and luckily, we still had several hours of daylight left which meant I could rummage through the house for working flashlights and a battalion of candles-also a good reminder that I should put together an emergency kit because this task took WAY longer than it should have! We are (thankfully) not used to 'emergencies,' if you can even really call this one, and I found myself instinctively/embarrassingly assuming that we'd be foraging for our dinner. Then, two seconds later, we remembered that our propane-powered barbecue was not affected by the lack of electricity, so everything would be just fine.

We headed over to El's parent's house, which is only about 5 minutes away, had a spectacular al fresco dinner, and Marlowe/El spent some quality time on the swings together. Yes, El's parent's have a vintage playground swing set on their property--if only the view wasn't so crappy...



After our dinner, we headed home and got ready for bed since there was nothing else to do/nothing electronic to distract us. It was a nice quiet reminder that:

1. we can survive without the modern day convenience of electricity, at least for a few hours.

2. it's a good thing to 'unplug,' spend some quality time with the fam, and go to bed when the sun tells you to.


No comments:

Post a Comment